- Possess the necessary skills to educate prenatally about breastfeeding in both group and individual settings, including teaching a prenatal breastfeeding class;
- Possess sufficient education in basic breastfeeding management to independently provide information and support to a breastfeeding parent via telephone or in a group setting, and while supervised by an IBCLC in a clinic or hospital environment;
- Possess the necessary counseling skills to provide sensitive and culturally appropriate care to the breastfeeding parent and family;
- Possess clinical judgment sufficient to refer breastfeeding parents appropriately to other healthcare providers including, but not limited to, IBCLCs in cases where medical issues or complex cases of lactation are present; and to
- Recognize and discuss solutions to alleviate common barriers to supporting a parent’s choice to exclusively breastfeed.
Completion of this course does not confer a hands-on breastfeeding support certification and participants should be supervised by an IBCLC or working under a separate healthcare credential if providing hands-on lactation care.
BreastfeedLA prefers to accept payment via PayPal. If you need to pay by check, your check must be received by July 22, 2019.
Digital files containing the curriculum will be emailed to registered participants by July 22, 2019. Curriculum must be printed and put in a binder prior to the first day of class. No printed copies of the curriculum will be provided.
Credit for future training is available under special circumstances until one week prior to the event.
Payment must be made during the time of online registration using a credit or debit card. If you need to make alternate payment arrangements such as a company check to be mailed to BreastfeedLA, all checks must be at the general admission price.
Continuing Education Credits (offered at no additional charge) – Total Number to be Determined
Registered Nurses: BreastfeedLA is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing. This course offers contact hours in continuing education will be offered. BreastfeedLA’s provider number is CEP 16435. Licensee must maintain certificate for a period of four years.
Lactation Consultants: BreastfeedLA is an approved Long-Term Provider by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners #CLT113-36. CERPs will be awarded.
Registered Dietitians: Maintain a copy of the agenda and certificate of attendance for CPEs for your professional development portfolio.