BREASTFEEDING ADVOCACY 101 TRAINING
Breastfeed LA is proud to present a full day of advocacy training designed for those who work with and advocate for breastfeeding moms and families. This training is brought to you by BreastfeedLA and co-sponsored by ACLU Southern California, the California Women’s Law Center, South Los Angeles Health Projects, Center for Worklife Law, California Breastfeeding Coalition, MomsRising, MOMS Orange County, Limerick Inc. and First 5 California.
Breastfeeding is a national priority backed by federal and state laws that protect a mother’s right to breastfeed in public, in the workplace, at school, within the judicial system, and during medical care. Our expert speakers will provide a close look at the current laws, the protections they provide, and where they fall short. You’ll receive hands-on advocacy practice, a comprehensive Breastfeeding Advocacy 101 Toolkit, and continuing education credits.
Learn to advocate for breastfeeding rights, so all families can meet their breastfeeding goals.
Registration is free and includes the Breastfeeding Advocacy 101 Toolkit, plus continuing education credits. You can purchase an optional Breakfast and Lunch package for $15.00.
Following the didactic presentations, participants will be able to:
- Describe general breastfeeding and lactation rights and current laws that support breastfeeding
- Identify special situations and circumstances where legal help is advised
- Identify and provide resources to support breastfeeding rights
- Effectively advocate for breastfeeding rights
- Robbie Gonzalez-Dow, MPH, RD, CLE Executive Director, California Breastfeeding Coalition
- Genevieve Colvin, IBCLC, Northeast Valley Health Corporation, Los Angeles
- Sharon Terman, Senior Staff Attorney, Legal Aid at Work, San Francisco
- Amy Poyer, Senior Staff Attorney, California Women’s Law Center, Los Angeles
- Hilary Rau, Staff Attorney, Center for WorkLife Law, UC Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco
- Ruth Dawson, Staff Attorney, ACLU of Southern California, Los Angeles
Location and Parking
This seminar is located at The California Endowment, 1000 N. Alameda Street, Yosemite Hall, Los Angeles, CA 90012.
Parking is available for free onsite and the location is also nearby the train.
Written cancellations requested two weeks prior to the event will be granted subject to a $5 fee for Breakfast and Lunch Package if purchased. No refunds after this date – 8/17/17.
Continuing Education Credits (offered at no additional charge)
5 E-CERPs (for IBCLCs) and 6 Contact Hours for continuing education will be awarded for attending this learning opportunity. When you register early, you receive the best value for our seminars! Earlybird Registration is now open.
Registered Nurses: BreastfeedLA is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing. This course offers 6 contact hours of continuing education will be offered. BreastfeedLA’s provider number is CEP 16435. Licensee must maintain certificate for a period of four years.
Lactation Consultants: BreastfeedLA is an approved Long-Term Provider by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners #CLT113-36. 5 E-CERPs will be awarded.
Attorneys: 3.5 Hours of General MCLE credit available.