Facilitate the acceptance of breastfeeding as the societal norm for infant feeding.
Create a supportive public environment for breastfeeding and the use of human milk.
- Conduct outreach and facilitate networking to broaden the base of active breastfeeding support.
- Increase the incidence of positive breastfeeding messages in the media.
- Work together towards systemic change by educating public officials, institutions and the community about policies and practices that promote, protect and support breastfeeding.
- Educate both employers and employees about the benefits of supporting breastfeeding in the workplace, and how to create a breastfeeding-friendly work environment.
Capacitate the healthcare system to effectively support exclusive breastfeeding and the provision of human milk to human babies.
- Advance a breastfeeding-friendly model of health care delivery to effectively support exclusive breastfeeding and the provision of human milk to human babies.
- Promote breastfeeding awareness and education for healthcare providers and administrators.
- Highlight the cost-effectiveness of breastfeeding as a way to manage health care costs.
Establish BreastfeedLA as a trusted source of breastfeeding information and resources.
- Provide comprehensive web-based information and resources for lactation and other healthcare professionals and consumers.
- Produce, maintain, and distribute a free print and web-based publication listing breastfeeding resources and information in Greater Los Angeles.
- Provide educational programs tailored for professional, paraprofessional and lay audiences.
- Foster the development of local expertise as well as facilitate learning opportunities from nationally renowned breastfeeding experts.